There’s a new vertical-scrolling spacecraft shoot-em-up on iPad and iPhone today, but don’t be scared by its awkward name: Battleship Ocean Islands War. The free iOS game features single- and multiplayer gameplay, with arcade action that allows players to navigate their spacecraft both horizontally and vertically using touch controls. Firing control is automatic, as players destroy enemy ships, avoid obstacles, collect coins, earn power-ups, upgrade their spacecraft and emerge victorious from the boss battle at the end of each level.
Battleship Ocean Islands War is different from most similar games, as the action takes place not in the blackness of space, but a stormy blue atmosphere. Both attacking ships and the player’s defending ship are relatively large and detailed compared to the attack groups of small fighters found in most STGs. This adds to the game’s realism and also makes incoming ships obstacles to horizontal movement.
Players can pick up coins in denominations of 10, 50, 100, or 500 by flying through a winged coin icon during battle. Power-ups are gained by flying through one of the golden winged icons during battle. Players can score a powerful missile power-up, which starts firing automatically, in addition to the small bullet-like projectiles that are fired continuously. Other weapons power-ups include a zigzag flying missile and an explosion wheel, a saw-toothed wheel that flies randomly and explodes on contact. Also available via winged icons are a protective shield that allows the player’s ship to pass unharmed through any obstacle or ship and a new life power-up that can save the player’s ship when it is destroyed.
There are five different ships available for purchase in the store, each with their own bonuses. Multiplayer combatants will definitely want to consider ship upgrades, which also include permanent power-ups.
* Fast-paced vertical scroller with hi-res, Retina-display ready graphics & animation
* Move the spaceship vertically or horizontally by dragging
* Exciting weapons sound f/x and music
* Fire control is automatic and continuous
* 3 different weapons power-ups, 1 defensive power-up, and 1 life power-up
* Single or multi-player gameplay with many playing levels
* Boss battle at the end of each level
* Game Center leaderboards and challenges
* Facebook and Twitter connectivity
* iPhone 3GS/4/4S/5, iPod touch (3rd/4th/5th generation), and iPad
* Requires iOS 5.0 or later
* Universal app optimized for display on all iOS devices
* 50.7 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Battleship Ocean Islands War 1.1 is free and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Games category. Coins, redeemable for optional power-up and ship upgrades, can be earned through gameplay or obtained through an in-app purchase, starting at $0.99 (USD).