The original Mutant League Football was released in 1993 for the Sega Genesis, earning an immediate status as cult classic among thousands of gamers — us included. Now with the wonders of crowd funding, Mutant League is hoping to make a comeback via Kickstarter, with none other than the original creators behind what’s being called “Mutant Football League.”
The original combination of monsters, mayhem, and good ol’ American gridiron action was too hard to resist. It will be interesting to see how it plays among a new generation fascinated with simulations like Madden NFL 25. Michael Mendheim, the original creator and lead designer of Mutant League, is initiating a Kickstarter effort for Mutant Football League. With fan support and a successful Kickstarter campaign, Mendheim will release Mutant Football League on Xbox Live, iOS and Android tablets.
“The fans have kept their interest in this genre alive over the years and we want to reward them for their loyalty,” stated Mendheim. We will be creating a new and very different game that pays homage to classic monster sports games and parodies the owners, the coaches, the sponsors and everything else that makes football such a great American sport.”
According to its announcement release, Mutant Football League will have “deep strategy, bone-crunching hits, over-the-top gore, a graveyard full of tongue-through-cheek humor, and a mind-blowing roster of original customizable characters, environments and gameplay features.” Sounds pretty sweet, frankly — especially if they can turn an Xbox One version.
Here are some of the game features for Mutant Football League:
- Mutants vs. Monsters – 30 vicious teams featuring a variety of awesome, fully customizable Monster and Mutant characters including: Mutant Humans, The Undead, Battlebots, Orcs, and more.
- Maximum Carnage – Inflict devastating mayhem on the opposition with punching, kicking, bombs, clubs, axes and even chainsaws.
- Killer Stadiums – The stadiums are filled with crazed and obnoxious weapon-wielding fans, and the fields are strewn with hazards, traps and debris. No field is the same, and all fields are deadly.
- Dirty Trick Plays – These are mean, nasty, unfair and lowdown plays intended to hose the opposition, or if that doesn’t work, kill them.
- Customizable Creatures – Create and name your own team and players, assign players a position, train them with skills and abilities, give them attack moves, add armor and weapons and let them loose.
- Tongue-Through-Cheek Humor – A fun, entertaining and off-the-wall parody of the NFL, with all the excitement, hard-hitting action, lunacy, unspeakable greed, corporate ruthlessness, hypocrisy and over-the-top egos that professional sports has to offer.
To help fund Mutant Football League for Xbox Live, iOS and Android, check out its Kickstarter page. They’re aiming to raise $750,000, and the program’s going until Oct. 15 this year. Help them out!