Nintendo confirmed the release date for its Mario Kart 8 Mercedes Benz DLC will be the same as the next game update: Aug. 27. The Mercedes DLC will add three new cars to the Mario Kart 8 lineup, all of which will be available for free. And frankly, it gives Wii U owners something to be really excited about.
Mario Kart 8 is already owned by more than 50% of all Wii U owners, but this Mario Kart 8 Mercedes Benz DLC will likely push that total much higher. It looks awesome, to be blunt. You can watch a video below of the new Mercedes Benz cars in action.
Aside from looking great, the Mercedes Benz DLC marks the first time Nintendo has included real-world vehicles in the Mario Kart franchise. The three cars included in this DLC pack all retain the cartoony vibe of Mario Kart 8 while obviously resembling their real-world counterparts.
An Aug. 27 game update to Mario Kart 8 will deliver a variety of new features for Wii U owners. The most exciting of the bunch is undoubtedly the ability to download three free Mercedes Benz cars: the modern Mercedes-Benz GLA, the 300 SL Roadster from the 1950s, and the legendary Silver Arrow of the 1930s.
The GLA model in the Mario Kart 8 Mercedes Benz DLC comes with special wheel options, although players can customize all three new karts with various wheels and gliders.
Between Aug. 27 and Sept. 23, Nintendo and Mercedes Benz will host a “Mercedes Cup” online tournament for Wii U owners around the world. No fee is required, just a Wii U console, a copy of Mario Kart 8, a broadband Internet connection and the Mario Kart 8 Mercedes Benz DLC.
Access to the “Mercedes Cup” can be found in the online tournament section of the game.
In addition to the cars, the Aug. 27 Mario Kart 8 game update will include:
- Drivers will have the option to display the course map on the TV screen during races
- The order of the menu after each race will be changed to “Next Race,” followed by “Watch Highlight Reel”
- The game will remember the most recent kart options that were selected, even if the Wii U system was powered down
- Users will be able to change options of other players’ Mario Kart TV downloaded highlight reels, such as changing the focus to different characters or actions
- A score screen will be added so players can see how many coins they’ve collected, their online win-loss record and their frequently used characters
- Improved online connection stability
Nintendo also announced that Super Mario Kart for Wii U is available today for $7.99 in the Nintendo eShop.