Destiny has been called by some as “just a Halo clone,” while others say it’s much more. Either way, it’s undeniable that Destiny thrives in the multiplayer setting, which means Bungie needs to make some tweaks as time goes by to balance and fine-tune the game’s performance.
The next batch of tweaks come this week in the form of an official Destiny patch. What’s included in Destiny patch 1.0.2 doesn’t seem too major on the surface, but the minor updates will keep the game balanced. In some cases, the updates seem like no-brainers that probably should’ve been changed before the game shipped.
Ah, the beauty of post-release updates.
The list of what’s included in Destiny patch 1.0.2 can be broken down into three parts: Cryptarch, Activity and Item changes. The latter category seems the most notable and could potentially screw with people when Destiny patch 1.0.2 launches.
The Cryptarch changes include:
- Legendary Engrams will always produce Legendary or better quality items, including Materials or Exotics
- Rare Engrams will always produce Rare or better quality items
- Rare engrams will have an increased chance to produce Legendary quality items
As for the Activity changes, Bungie’s making some tweaks that will allow Daily Heroics, Weekly Heroics and Vanguard: Tiger Playlist activities to include Rare and Legendary Engrams in addition to their existing rewards.
The third list of what’s included in Destiny patch 1.0.2 is what you’ll really want to pay attention to:
- Ascendant materials have been promoted to Legendary to closer associate them with the gear they are used to upgrade
- Legendary Engram items that exist in your inventory will be demoted to Rare quality.
That last bit would be particularly disappointing to some gamers. In fact, in its update Bungie specifically said “decode them while you can” in reference to those Legendary Engrams, indicating that even they know it could potentially nerf some things. Not likely — there was already an imbalance there — but there’s certainly a chance.
So what’s your take on what’s included in Destiny patch 1.0.2? Is this enough to justify a patch? Is (much) more needed in terms of performance or functionality tweaks? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.