The tennis-simulation franchise Grand Slam Tennis will hit the current generation of consoles for the first time next year, as EA Sports has announced that Grand Slam Tennis 2 will ship for the Xbox 360 and PS3 in 2012. The PS3 version of Grand Slam Tennis 2 will also feature PlayStation Move support. EA did not indicate whether the Xbox 360 version of Grand Slam Tennis 2 will include Xbox Kinect support.
Grand Slam Tennis 2 will feature all four Grand Slam championships and is the only video game to feature Wimbledon. In the game, players can serve-up aces on Wimbledon’s prestigious Centre Court, hit cross-court winners on the clay courts of the French Open, play under the bright lights at the U.S. Open or work on their serve and volley at the Australian Open.
Grand Slam Tennis 2 will include “a deep roster: of elite past and present players, although EA did not specify which players will be among the roster. It would be a huge miss if Andre Agassi, Pete Sampras, John McEnroe and Monica Seles, among others, were not included. Based on the details EA did announce, though, it’s safe to say that several of those will be in play.
Grand Slam Tennis 2 will include the following gameplay features:
- All-New Total Racquet Control: Control every shot with the right analog stick, smashing forehands, backhands, overheads and volleys with precision, accuracy and power. Utilize this innovative control system to take your game to the top! But if you prefer the old school button controls, those are still available!
- Become a Champion: Become a true Grand Slam tournament champion by capturing all four major championships in succession. The prestige of some of the most historic events in tennis come alive like never before, including the Australian Open, French Open, U.S. Open and exclusive to EA SPORTS Grand Slam Tennis franchise – Wimbledon.
- PlayStation Move Support: The motion control experience gets you on your feet and puts a racquet right in the palm of your hands. From casual players to tennis masters, you truly have the chance to swing your way to victory.
- Legends of Now and Then: Play with or against more than 20 of the greatest players to ever grace the courts, including Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, Bjorn Borg, Maria Sharapova, Serena and Venus Williams and exclusive to EA SPORTS Grand Slam Tennis franchise, seventeen-time winner of a Grand Slam tournament John McEnroe.
- Professional, Realistic, Organic (P.R.O.) AI: The playing styles and behaviors of the sport’s greatest stars are captured right down to their signature swings and emotional reactions. Realistic tactics and strategies are your keys to success against each legend whether playing on hard court, clay or grass. The organic artificial intelligence adapts to your game so there’s never a dull moment!
- ESPN Grand Slam Tournament Classics: Relive some of the most memorable moments in tennis. From Borg versus McEnroe to Nadal versus Federer, play your way through history unlocking up to 25 amazing moments of Grand Slam tournaments.
- Deep Tennis Experience: Play countless hours of tennis in Grand Slam Career mode – singles and doubles, through a 10-year career or battle online. A wide variety of online gameplay features, Photo Game Face and more keep your experience fresh and authentic.
Grand Slam Tennis 2 will ship for the Xbox 360 and PS3 in 2012. A specific release date was not announced.