Square-Enix has rarely ventured into the non-JRPG field, but they have started to move into genres they aren’t familiar with. Not long ago they published Supreme Commander 2. Today they have released the action-RPG Nier to stores.
Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of SQUARE ENIX® interactive entertainment products in North America, announced that the highly-anticipated Action-RPG NIER ™ is now available at North American retailers nationwide for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft.
NIER presents the despairing story of a world afflicted by an apocalyptic plague and a father’s desperation to protect his daughter from the dark denizens of this frightening future. Armed with mighty weapons and powerful magic, players take control of the title character, Nier, as he battles alongside formidable allies against waves of enemies and giant bosses in an effort to discover the truth about the plague, his daughter…and himself.
“NIER’s unusual characters, mesmerizing storyline and engaging Action-RPG gameplay have tantalized gamers for months leading up to today’s release,” said Ami Blaire, Vice President, Marketing of Square Enix, Inc. “What exactly is the Black Scrawl? Who is this Shadowlord? And, what role will Nier play in his world’s eventual salvation…or destruction? Now gamers can finally sink their teeth into the finished product, and uncover the countless intriguing mysteries that this game has to offer.”
The latest offering from the RPG-masters at Square Enix, NIER is an Action-RPG that blends traditional RPG gameplay mechanics with intense, bloody combat and powerful magic to create an action-packed single-player experience where players explore and discover a future lost to a shadowy past.
Developed by cavia inc, NIER delivers on Square Enix’s renowned pedigree for creating unique storylines coupled with deep character development – a pedigree that has kept gamers around the world enraptured for decades.
- Utilize more than 30 weapons, including quick one-handed blades, powerful two-handed swords and far-reaching spears as well as hand-to-hand combat techniques to vanquish hordes of enemies
- Cast dozens of powerful offensive and defensive magic spells, including Dark Execution, Dark Hand and Dark Wall to supplement your martial skills
- Discover more than a hundred mysterious Words throughout the game, and attach them to the names of Nier’s weapons and spells to gain significant enhancements and new abilities
- Fight alongside and interact with several companions throughout your adventures, including the enigmatic Kainé and the dry-witted Grimoire Weiss
- Interact with dozens of NPCs, including shop owners and quest givers. Purchase new weapons, crafting supplies as well as city and adventure maps. Discover dozens of side quests and secondary storylines throughout the world
NIER is rated M (Mature). Please visit the Entertainment Software Rating Board website at www.esrb.org for more information about ratings. NIER is now available for the PlayStation 3 system and Xbox 360 at North American retailers nationwide for the suggested retail price of $59.99.
For more information about NIER, please visit the game’s official Web site at http://www.NIERGame.com. Stay up-to-date with the latest screenshots, videos and breaking news by becoming a fan on the official NIER Facebook page, at http://www.facebook.com/NIERGame.
While it is not going to do Final Fantasy XIII numbers, Square-Enix knows how to do RPGs. Tak a look for it today.