DC Universe Online (DCUO), Sony’s superhero MMO, is getting a free-to-play version on November 1, providing a new option for MMO fans who don’t want to pay a monthly subscription for their superhero action. DCUO free-to-play has almost all the same functionality as the full-priced version, a welcome surprise considering the traditional revenue model for the MMO genre.
DCUO has both a PS3 and Windows PC version. Players on both systems can play online with one another via cross-platform play.
DC Universe Online traditionally carries a $14.99 monthly Legendary subscription. There is also a $5 Premium pass. The Free-to-Play version includes essentially all the same functions as the Legendary subscription, with a few downgraded options.
- Players on all subscription levels get free game updates
- DLC expansion packs cost a separate fee with DCUO Free-to-Play, whereas in Legendary they’re included free
- You get two character slots rather than 16 (but can purchase more)
- You get 28 inventory slots instead of 63 (but can purchase more)
- You do not get Auction slots, whereas Legendary subscribers get 20 (but you can all can purchase more)
- Bank slots are 12 in number, rather than 48 (but you can purchase more)
- You cannot trade anything
- There’s a 1500 maximum on in-game currency
- You can only send 6 text chat messages every 30 seconds
- Mail is text only (no items or cash)
- You get one free Vault ticket per week (compared to one per day)
- You can join Players Leagues, but you can’t form one
More information about the DCUO free-to-play system is available here.